April 22, 2024

Sen. Tim Scott On If He Believes There Is Systemic Racism In America | The View



Published June 11, 2023, 10:20 p.m. by Naomi Charles


"Both sides of the aisle can do a better job on the issue of race," the Republican presidential candidate tells "The View" co-hosts.

Subscribe to our YouTube channel: http://bit.ly/2Ybi4tM

MORE FROM 'THE VIEW':

Full episodes: http://abcn.ws/2tl10qh

Twitter: http://twitter.com/theview

Facebook: http://facebook.com/TheView

Instagram: http://instagram.com/theviewabc

You may also like to read about:



T

QUESTION.

>> MY MOM SAYS HELLO, BY THE

WAY.

>> I WAS SO HAPPY WHEN YOU

ENTERED THE RACE, A TRADITIONAL

WILLING TO REACH ACROSS THE

AISLE.

HOW DO YOU REACH AMERICANS WHO

SUPPORTED THE FORMER PRESIDENT

WITH A BRASH APPROACH TO

POLITICS?

>> PEOPLE ARE HUNGRY FOR

SOMETHING THAT'S HOPEFUL AND

OPTIMISTIC.

WE WANT TO RESTORE HOPE,

CREATING OPPORTUNITIES, AND

DEFENDING AND PROTECTING THE

AMERICA THAT WE LOVE.

I GREW UP MIRED IN POVERTY.

BY FOURTH GRADE, FOUR DIFFERENT

ELEMENTARY SCHOOL.

WE CAN RESTORE HOPE IN THIS

COUNTRY BY FOCUSING ON OUR

EDUCATION SYSTEM.

WE HAVE TOO MANY KIDS IN POOR

ZIP CODES TRAPPED IN FAILING

SCHOOLS.

I WANT PARENTS TO HAVE A CHOICE

SO KIDS HAVE A BIGGER CHANCE.

IF WE FOCUS ON THOSE ISSUES, 67%

OF DEMOCRATS, 68% OF

INDEPENDENTS, 70% OF

REPUBLICANS, 72% OF AFRICAN

AMERICANS, 66% OF HISPANICS, ALL

I COULDN'T ON SOME FORM OF

SCHOOL CHOICE, BECAUSE AT THE

END OF THE DAY MY MAMA LOVES HER

CHILD MORE THAN SHE DOES

REPUBLICANS OR DEMOCRATS.

SO THE COMBINATION IS CAN WE

FIND A WAY TO MAKE AMERICA

BETTER BY HAVING EVERY CHILD IN

EVERY ZIP CODE HAVE QUALITY

EDUCATION.

FRANKLY, CREATING OPPORTUNITIES

FOR ME, I STARTED OFF AS A SMALL

BUSINESS OWNER IN THE LATE

1990s.

IT HELPED ME ACHIEVE THE GOALS

THAT I HAD FOR MY LIFE.

ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT GOALS

OF BEING RAISED BY THAT SINGLE

MOTHER WAS TO MAKE SURE SHE HAD

A CHANCE TO GET INTO A GARAGE

WITHOUT HAVING TO WORRY ABOUT

COMING INTO THE APARTMENT,

YOU'RE LOOKING TO YOUR LEFT,

YOUR RIGHT, TRYING TO MAKE SURE

THAT YOU'RE SAFE.

MY GOAL IN LIFE WAS TO MAKE SURE

I BOUGHT HER A HOUSE, BUT MORE

IMPORTANTLY A GARAGE.

HAVING THE ABILITY TO LIVE THE

AMERICAN DREAM, TO SEE THESE

OBJECTIVES I SET ACHIEVED EARLY

ON THIS LIFE WAS WHAT I BELIEVE

THE AMERICAN DREAM SHOULD BE

ABOUT, MAKING SURE THAT EVERY

SINGLE PERSON, BASED ON THEIR

CHARACTER, THEIR GRIT AND

TALENT, CAN RISE AS HIGH AS

HUMANLY POSSIBLE.

I WILL SAY THAT THE

TRANSFORMATION THAT I'VE SEEN IN

MY LIFE, IN SOUTH CAROLINA, IT

IS MEASURABLE BY THE MILLIONS OF

LIVES THAT ARE ABSOLUTELY

DIFFERENT TODAY THAN IT'S EVER

BEEN, PARTICULARLY AS I LOOK

BACK AT MY GRANDFATHER'S LIFE.

>> SENATOR, I WANTED TO MOVE TO,

GOVERNOR DESANTIS ANNOUNCED TWO

WEEKS AGO THAT HE'S ALSO RUNNING

IN 2024.

IT'S EARLY, BUT HE'S SITTING

SECOND TO THE FORMER PRESIDENT.

ONE QUESTION I HAVE, AS A MORE

TRADITIONAL CONSERVATIVE, WHAT

DOES THAT SAY ABOUT THE KIND OF

EXTREMES SOME OF YOUR PARTY HAS

MOVED TO?

IT DOESN'T REFLECT CONSERVATISM

TO ME.

>> WELL, I'LL JUST SAY THIS, AS

A GUY ON THE CAMPAIGN TRAIL IN

IOWA, NEW HAMPSHIRE, SOUTH

CAROLINA, THE EARLY VOTING

STATES, WHAT I FOUND TO BE

REALLY REFRESHING IS THAT THE

OPTIMISTIC POSITIVE MESSAGE HAS

NOT BEEN SHARED IN SO LONG.

WE'VE BEEN EMBROILED IN BATTLES

TOO SO LONG, THAT WHEN PEOPLE

HEAR THE MESSAGE, WHEN YOU HAVE

A BACKBONE, PEOPLE ARE

INTERESTED IN ENGAGING IN THE

CONVERSATION AS OPPOSED TO

HAVING A MESSAGE ON PRINCIPLES,

IT'S SOMETHING THAT'S ATTRACTING

MORE VOTES.

THE LAST TIME I WENT TO IOWA,

JUST THIS PAST WEEKEND, THE SIZE

OF THE CROWD DESIST DOUBLED, THE

ENTHUSIASM IS HIGHER THAN IT'S

BEEN.

EVERY TIME I GO BACK IT GETS

BETTER AND BETTER.

MY HOPE AND MY THEORY IS AMERICA

HAS BEEN WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO

SHOW UP, MORE INTERESTED IN

AMERICAN PROGRESS AND THE BIG

WINDSHIELD OF THE CAR AND LESS

THAN THE REARVIEW MIRROR, BUT

WANTING TO MAKE SURE WE HAVE A

COMPASS WHERE WE'RE GOING.

>> SENATOR, WE HAVE SOME THINGS

IN COMMON.

YOU GREW UP IN A SINGLE-FAMILY

HOUSEHOLD, SINGLE MOTHER

HOUSEHOLD.

I GREW UP WITH MY BOTH OF MY

PARENTS, BUT RAISED IN THE BRONX

PROJECTS AMIDST A LOT OF POVERTY

AND VIOLENCE.

YOU WERE THE FIRST BLACK SENATOR

ELECTED IN THE SOUTH SINCE THE

RECONSTRUCTION.

THAT WOULD BE ABOUT 114 YEARS.

YET YOU SAY THAT YOUR LIFE

DISPROVES LEFTIST LIES.

>> YES.

>> MY QUESTION TO YOU IS, I'M

THE EXCEPTION, RIGHT?

YOU'RE THE EXCEPTION.

MAYBE EVEN MS. WHOOPI GOLDBERG

IS THE EXCEPTION.

BUT WE ARE NOT THE RULE.

WHEN IT COMES TO RACIAL

INEQUALITY, IT PERSISTS IN FIVE

CORE ASPECTS OF LIFE IN THE U.S.

ECONOMICS, EDUCATION,

HEALTHCARE, CRIMINAL JUSTICE,

AND HOUSING.

AT NEARLY EVERY TURN, THESE

ACHIEVEMENTS WERE FOUGHT,

THREATENED, AND ERASED, MOST

OFTEN BY WHITE VIOLENCE.

YOU HAVE INDICATED THAT YOU

DON'T BELIEVE IN SYSTEMIC

RACISM.

WHAT'S YOUR DEFINITION OF

SYSTEMIC RACISM?

>> LET ME ANSWER THE QUESTION

THAT YOU'VE ANSWERED -- ASKED.

>> DOES IT WHEN EXIST IN YOUR M?

>> I'M ON THE SHOW BECAUSE OF

THE COMMENTS MADE FRANKLY ON

THIS SHOW THAT THE ONLY WAY FOR

A YOUNG AFRICAN AMERICAN KID TO

BE SUCCESSFUL IN THIS COUNTRY IS

TO BE THE EXCEPTION AND NOT THE

RULE.

THAT'S A DANGEROUS OFFENSIVE

DISGUSTING MESSAGE TO SEND TO

OUR YOUNG PEOPLE TODAY THAT THE

ONLY WAY TO SUCCEED IS BY BEING

THE EXCEPTION.

I WILL TELL YOU THAT IF MY LIFE

IS THE EXCEPTION, I CAN'T

IMAGINE --

>> BUT IT IS.

>> BUT IT'S NOT ACTUALLY.

>> IT'S BEEN 114 YEARS.

>> THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS

WE'VE HAD AN AFRICAN AMERICAN

PRESIDENT, AFRICAN AMERICAN VICE

PRESIDENT, WE'VE HAD TWO AFRICAN

AMERICANS TO BE SECRETARIES OF

THE STATE.

IN MY HOME CITY, THE POLICE

CHIEF IS AN AFRICAN AMERICAN

WHO'S NOW RUNNING FOR MAYOR.

THE HEAD OF THE HIGHWAY PATROL

FOR SOUTH CAROLINA IS AN AFRICAN

AMERICAN.

IN 1975, THERE WAS ABOUT 15%

UNEMPLOYMENT IN THE AFRICAN

AMERICAN COMMUNITY FOR THE FIRST

TIME IN THE COUNTRY IT'S UNDER

5%.

>> 40% HOMELESSNESS OF AFRICAN

AMERICANS.

>> YOU ASKED THE QUESTION.

I'VE WATCHED YOU ON THE SHOW,

THAT YOU LIKE PEOPLE TO BE

DEFERRAL AND RESPECTFUL.

>> THAT IS TRUE.

>> I'M GOING TO ASK THE SAME.

PROGRESS IN AMERICA IS MEASURED

IN GENERATIONS.

MY GRANDFATHER BORN IN 1921 IN

SALLY, SOUTH CAROLINA, WHEN HE

WAS ON A SIDEWALK, A WHITE

PERSON WAS COMING, HE HAD TO

STEP OFF AND NOT MAKE EYE

CONTACT.

THAT MAN BELIEVED THEN, WITH

SOME DOUBT NOW, IN THE GOODNESS

OF AMERICA, BECAUSE HE BELIEVED

THAT FAITH IN GOD, FAITH IN

HIMSELF, AND FAITH IN WHAT THE

FUTURE COULD HOLD FOR HIS KIDS,

WOULD UNLEASH OPPORTUNITIES IN

WAYS THAT YOU CANNOT IMAGINE.

EVERY KID TODAY CAN LOOK -- JUST

CHANGE THE STATIONS, SEE HOW

MUCH PROGRESS HAS BEEN MADE IN

THIS COUNTRY.

ABC, NBC, CBS, ESPN, CNN, FOX

NEWS, ALL HAVE AFRICAN AMERICAN

AND HISPANIC HOSTS.

SO WHAT I'M SUGGESTING IS THAT

THE YESTERDAY'S EXCEPTION IS

TODAY'S RULE.

FOR US TO --

>> SO AMERICA HAS MET ITS

PROMISE?

>> NO.

THE CONCEPT OF AMERICA IS THAT

WE ARE GOING TO BECOME A MORE

PERFECT UNION.

BUT IN FACT, THE CHALLENGES THAT

WE FACED 50 YEARS AND 60 YEARS

AGO SHOULD NOT BE THE SAME

CHALLENGES THAT WE FACE TODAY.

HERE'S THE WAY YOU MEASURE THAT.

WHEN MY MOTHER WAS BORN, ABOUT

10% OF AFRICAN AMERICANS GOT A

HIGH SCHOOL DEGREE.

A DIPLOMA.

TODAY IT'S OVER 90%.

WHEN YOU LOOK AT THE INCOME --

WHEN YOU LOOK AT THE INCOME --

>> THAT'S AN HBCU STAT.

>> THAT'S A GOOD ONE, BECAUSE I

TOOK THE FUNDING FOR HBCUs TO

THE HIGHEST LEVEL IN THE HISTORY

OF THE COUNTRY.

THEN I HELPED MAKE IT PERMANENT,

IS BECAUSE I BELIEVE THAT

EDUCATION IS THE CLOSEST THING

TO MAGIC IN AMERICA.

SO I'M ABOUT MAKING SURE THAT

OUR KIDS HAVE AS MANY

OPPORTUNITIES TO SUCCEED AS

POSSIBLE.

IT'S ONE OF THE REASONS WHY --

>> I GET AN OPPORTUNITY TO -- I

HAVE TO GO TO BREAK.

WE'RE COMING BACK.

>> I'M

>> WELCOME BACK.

SO, YOU KNOW, I SAT AND I

LISTENED TO EVERYTHING YOU SAID.

>> YES.

>> I WONDER WHY THESE

CONVERSATIONS DON'T SEEM TO BE

HELD WITH REPUBLICANS.

ALL OF THE EXCEPTIONAL STUFF

YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

ONE OF THE REASONS WE CONTINUE

TO HAVE NEW EXCEPTIONALISM IS

BECAUSE EVERY TIME FOLKS MAKE 40

STEPS FORWARD THEY GET DRAGGED

40 STEPS BACK.

HOW DO WE AS A NATION -- BECAUSE

AS A NATION WE SEEMINGLY GET ON

THE RIGHT TRACK, AND THEN WE GO

BACKWARDS.

YOU AS A BLACK MAN, AND AS ONE

OF THE -- ARE THERE TWO BLACK --

>> YES.

>> SENATORS?

>> YES.

>> THREE NOW.

>> CORY BOOKER AND RA RAPHAEL

WARNOCK AND ME.

>> YOU HAVE YOURSELF HAVE TALKED

ABOUT WHEN THE POLICE STOPPED

YOU.

>> ABSOLUTELY.

>> HOW CAN YOU GET YOUR PARTY TO

STOP TRYING TO STOP THE

PROGRESSION THAT PEOPLE ARE

MAKING?

BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT I COMPLAINED

ABOUT.

I WANT YOU TO COME OUT AND SAY,

LISTEN, THE REPUBLICANS HAVE

THESE ISSUES.

>> I THINK HUMANS HAVE THESE

ISSUES.

>> YEAH.

>> THE ISSUE OF DISCRIMINATION

THAT I HAVE FACED, I ASSUME

YOU'VE FACED AS WELL, IS AN

ISSUE OF THE HEART.

IT'S NOT REPUBLICANS OR

DEMOCRATS.

FRANKLY BOTH SIDES OF THE AISLE

CAN DO A BETTER JOB ON THE ISSUE

OF RACE.

FRANKLY MY SIDE OF THE AISLE I

THINK IS DOING A FABULOUS JOB OF

MAKING PROGRESS.

THE QUESTION IS HOW DO WE

MEASURE THAT PROGRESS.

>> HOW IS THAT?

>> LET ME TELL YOU.

THERE'S GOOD NEWS.

I THOUGHT YOU ONLY HAD ONE

QUESTION.

>> THAT WAS ME TALKING TO YOU.

>> I'M GOING TO --

>> COME NEXT TO YOU?

>> COME OVER HERE.

LET'S HAVE A CONVERSATION.

>> COME ON, LADIES.

>> SIT, SIT, SIT.

[APPLAUSE]

A COUPLE OF SHORT ANSWERS AS I

WAS TALKING WITH ANA ABOUT THE

FACT THAT --

>> YEAH.

YOUR BACK LOOKS GOOD FROM HERE.

>> THE TRUTH OF THE MATTER IS

WHEN YOU LOOK AT PROGRESS IN THE

SENATE, ESPECIALLY FROM THE

REPUBLICAN SIDE, AFRICAN

AMERICAN CHIEFS OF STAFF ON THE

REPUBLICAN SIDE, THE ONLY

AFRICAN AMERICAN FEMALE CHIEF OF

STAFF WAS MINE.

THE CURRENT ONLY CHIEF OF STAFF

WHO'S FEMALE IS FINE.

WHEN I HELPED REWRITE THE TAX

CODE IN 2017, I FOCUSED ON MY

GROWING-UP EXPERIENCE, WHICH WAS

A SINGLE MOTHER.

I CUT HER TAXES.

SINGLE MOTHERS LIKE MINE,

AVERAGING $40,000, BY --

>> ONLY ONE BLACK SENATOR OUT OF

50.

>> THERE'S ONLY TWO ON THE OTHER

SIDE.

>> YES.

GO AHEAD.

>> SO THE TRUTH IS THAT WHEN YOU

MEASURE SUCCESS AND PROGRESS IN

THIS NATION, ONE OF THE THINGS

YOU HAVE TO DO IS LOOK AT THE

STATISTICAL REALITIES.

WE BROUGHT AFRICAN AMERICAN

UNEMPLOYMENT WHEN WE CUT THE

TAXES DOWN TO THE LOWEST LEVEL

IN THE HISTORY OF THIS COUNTRY

FOR THE FIRST TIME UNDER 6%.

HIT 5.4%.

>> YOU ALSO GAVE BILLIONAIRES A

HUGE TAX CUT, AND THAT DIDN'T

TRICKLE DOWN TO -- IF YOU WANT

TO TALK ABOUT STATISTICAL

REALITIES.

THE STATISTICAL REALITY WE CAN'T

ARGUE WITH IS THAT AFRICAN

AMERICANS ARE, WHAT, 14% TO 15%

IN THIS COUNTRY.

>> 13%.

>> THEY'RE 3% OF THE U.S.

SENATE.

THAT'S A STATISTICAL REALITY.

>> THAT'S ONLY ONE STATISTIC

THAT IS ACTUALITY HAS BEEN

IMPROVING SIGNIFICANTLY IN THE

LAST DECADE.

LET'S TAKE A LOOK AT THE NUMBER

OF AFRICAN AMERICANS THAT HAVE

SERVED IN THE SENATE IN THE LAST

10 YEARS.

COWAN FROM MASSACHUSETTS.

YOU HAVE CORY BOOKER.

YOU HAVE MYSELF.

YOU HAVE KAMALA HARRIS.

YOU HAVE WARNOCK.

THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS IN

LESS THAN THE LAST DECADE WE'VE

HAD ABOUT HALF OF ALL THE

AFRICAN AMERICANS WHOEVER SERVED

IN THE SENATE IN THE LAST

DECADE, WHICH MEANS THAT THIS

NATION IS MAKING MEASURABLE

PROGRESS IN REAL TIME.

IF WE FOCUS ON THAT, AND

CONTINUE TO MAKE PROGRESS, WE

WILL FULFILL THE NOTION THAT

THIS IS A NATION THAT CAN BECOME

MORE PERFECT.

WHAT I'M CONCERNED ABOUT --

>> WHAT ABOUT FIXING THE

STRUCTURE, THE SYSTEMIC RACISM

EMBEDDED IN --

[APPLAUSE]

>> WE DON'T HAVE TO AGREE ON THE

FACT THAT YOUR DEFINITION IS --

>> GO TELL HER.

>> WE HAVE TO GO T

Resources:

Similar videos

2CUTURL

Created in 2013, 2CUTURL has been on the forefront of entertainment and breaking news. Our editorial staff delivers high quality articles, video, documentary and live along with multi-platform content.

© 2CUTURL. All Rights Reserved.